Tuesday, May 03, 2005

do not name your baby girl riley

There is a posterboard on the other side of the office. Today on it was written

Congratulations Jenn!
Jenn had a baby girl, Riley Elizabeth

I do not know why the message is directed at Jenn, I believe if she did just have the baby she'd be resting in the hospital instead of rushing back to work to check the posterboard. I don't know Jenn. I don't know where she sits, I don't think I've ever met her, I didn't know she was pregnant, or even that her due date was approaching. Had I known I no doubt would have wished her a safe and healthy delivery, etc etc etc. Now however, one fact is blotting out all others: She's named her baby girl Riley. Riley is not a girl's name. It's hardly a boy's name. It is a last name. A surname.

John I expect you to leave that link to that hilarious baby name site in the comments.

Do not name your baby girl Riley.

-Tom
recommended download
Johnny Cash, Boy Named Sue

6 comments:

mance01 said...

I think Riley is a cute name for a dog. My friend's beagle is named Riley. On the other hand, I do NOT think that Sam is a cute name for a dog. I know at least 5 dogs named Sam...and when I'm in a room with one of them, it's hella confusing. So when naming your dog- vote Riley. :)

Kate Mills said...

I would venture to say that the reasoning for the bulletin would be to guilt all her co-workers into getting some sort of gift or card. That's the way things go around here, anyway.
As for the name "Riley." Correct, this is not first name material for a human. In fact, I can't help feeling like it is some sort of verb or adjective when I hear it. "I'm feeling riley, I think that cheese that I just ate went bad..."

Tom said...

ew

Anonymous said...

samantha your dog comment made me laugh out loud at work. nice.

Anonymous said...

tom i think it's hilarious that you have a mini-commenting cult going. also well done.

Tom said...

thanks. like I said before, all I've ever really wanted is an appreciative audience.

(and I appreciate it ;)
-t