Thursday, March 17, 2005

a penny saved

Funny how money saved is money earned, but time can only be well spent. You just can't save an hour of your day for later. I spent this morning reorganizing my daily reports for the last three months, order from disorder, but I'm not getting that time back. I can't sit back right now, decide to do nothing for a while because I want to "save this hour" for tonight, and it's a real shame it doesn't work like that, since I won't be doing anything anyway.

If I had more drive I would invest this time wisely, say in an anthopological study of the workplace.

"day one-ninety-seven, the natives seems to have accepted me into their community. recall that they are timid, but usually friendly with outsiders, it is often observed that most newcomers will be invited to the daily rituals "coffee" or "smokes." Now, however, I seem to have gained admittance to their upper echelon, I have begun to receive correspondence from some of the "cube-dwellers" through their electronic communitcations system. Normally a means for mass communication, this "email" can also be used to send individual messages. I was overjoyed to receive my first "forward" from a member of the local tribe, or "group." These "forwards" are apparently a type of communication meant to be humorous or satirical in nature, usually containing observations of the surrounding environment, or "office," which are often contradictory in nature. For example, this first forward I have received notes that the "manager" (a dominant member of the species) appears to demand that group members be responsible for their work, while acting in a contradictory manner and not taking responsibility for his own. It may take many more years of study to fully understand this culture and its practices, but I feel confident that the natives, desperate for contact with the outside world, will continue to aid and accept me. I must end my entry here, it is time for this morning's "coffee run" in which I have been invited to participate."

-Tom

No comments: