Friday, January 28, 2005

voodoo

I like being comfortable. Good mittens. Hooded sweatshirts. Warm gloves. Jeans, not dress pants. I think mostly comfortable is about being warm when it's cold - on the couch, with a girlfriend, under a blanket. That's comfort.

My coworker is urging me to become a teacher. "you graduated with a math degree? screw this place. you should be a teacher, go to private schools you put in 5 years you'll be making more money. and its so in demand now." I don't think it's a bad idea. I'm not super enthusiastic about teaching, though I've never completely ruled it out. I think probably after a year or two here I will be in a better position to decide if that's what I want to do. I doubt jumping ship after four months to test the waters is not the best idea in the world. I do wonder, though, if coworker is so frustrated with this place and looking to get the hell out why he doesn't try teaching. Embittered employees. (embittered might not be a word, I like the alliteration).

Also today at our group meeting the excessive use of instant messenger and the internet was addressed. I think they were talking about me. I'm ok with that though. As long as it doesn't interfere with my work I won't alter my online time. And unless a manager comes over to address the problem personally, one-on-one I probably won't even acknowledge it. However, after the meeting I did hide AIM for a while, maybe to make them feel better. In the meantime I started bending paperclips. It's sculpture. I'm going to stage a one-man art show. Modern art made up of office supplies. Composition in metal: "Bent Paperclip," Ink and toner on post-it: "Despair," and my piece de resistance Telephone, superglue, and lead-free pencil: "Pincushion"

I'm working on a name for the show. I'll let you know when my work is ready to be unveiled to the public.

-Tom

recommended download:
Godsmack, Voodoo

No comments: