Wednesday, November 17, 2004

This job is getting easier

When I started here I spent three days shadowing to learn the Ways of the Fund Group. They were the easiest three days ever. Not only did I not have to do anything, but additionally, there were no problems with the funds, so we didn't have to do any trouble-shooting, and we got out early (5:45) each of the three days.

Naturally I expected things to run less smoothly when I took over my own funds, and, as expected, things ran less smoothly. In addition to not knowing what the hell was going on there were also terrible problems on the funds. Don't get me wrong, it was a valuable learning experience: learning to identify problems, learning which ones I could take care of, and which ones to take to a manager. I also learned the best time to approach my managers, and which one to approach with which type of problem. (Peter is 6-large-coffees-a-day hyper and is good to go to when somebody else screws up your fund - Dan is relaxed and explains everything and is good to go to when you screw up your fund - and Mike is chill and is senior manager and can fix anything, so he's good to go to when your fund suddenly turns up bankrupt and you're so totally confused you forget which cubicle is yours.)

But, since then, things have been gradually getting easier. I'm moving through the Things-That-Need-To-Be-Done-On-A-Daily-Basis much more quickly, and understanding them a little more each day. I'm trouble shooting funds, and now know not just that there is a problem but actually what the problem is before I take it to the manager to get it fixed.
When I was training I was bored...I think I'm almost good enough to start getting bored again.
If that's the case, expect blogging to pick up (take today's entry, for example)

Meantime, I'm going to try and find a classic rock radio station online so I can listen to some tunes...or maybe try to figure a way to hook up the iPod to my computer terminal so I can listent to my tunes...we'll see

For now, Tom out.

No comments: