Friday, December 21, 2007

Screwed on Christmas

A few weeks ago I started checking my vacation calendar. How many days I'd used, how many I had left that wouldn't roll over to the new calendar year, which days in the upcoming weeks I could burn.

As I was about to request some time off (specifically, the last few Fridays of the year) we got an email stating someone else in the group had beat me to it.

He was flying to Cleveland last Friday, so he put in for the time, got it, and then thought "why not try forthe remaining Fridays" and did, and got them (12/14, 12/21, 12/28)

I don't begrudge him the time off, it's unfortunate for me that he got there first.

So, I did the next best thing, I requested the remaining Mondays off. I doubled checked. I realized that Monday is Christmas Eve and some people may have already requested it. I checked the calendar for approved requests, and I checked the calendar for pending requests. Nothing. It looked open. Sweet.

So I got last Monday (12/17) and slept most of the day, and asked for next Monday (12/24), Christmas Eve, and was denied.

Denied! I couldn't believe it! Here's this new kid in the group who gets three Fridays in a row off, and I can't get two Mondays?

I asked my manager about it. "Sorry, too many people have the day off." I told him I'd checked the calendar, and no one had the day off. Turns out, he took Christmas Eve for himself. He is "too many people." You know what? Fine. If I were managing a group you can bet I'd give myself the pick of the vacation calendar. Screw the working man, managment is taking it easy. Fine. No vacation for the underlings.

So, imagine my surprise this morning when I received an email from my manager:

"Please cover the new kid's funds today and Monday, since he will be on vacation both days."

What the hell?!

I requested Monday off when last week and was denied! When did this kid sneak in his request, and why did you approve his request and not mine?!

And now I've got to cover his work? While he's on vacation? On Christmas Eve?

What the hell.

No comments: